[WikiEN-l] Moderate your moderators

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 14:02:32 UTC 2005

My name is Danny and I am the administrator who made the block last
night. I would like to explain the circumstances of the block.

I did delete one personal page because it was created by the person
about himself. Creating such pages is not allowed on Wikipedia and I
noted the reason for deletion as "vanity."

At the same time, I also reverted a several instances of vandalism and
blocked the user, who had received adequate warning. This included a
rewrite of the Wizard of Oz article to say "book sucks. good movie" and
two redirects of our article on the Holocaust to an article about the
Marvel Comics hero, The Thing. I have no doubt you will agree that such
egregious edits should be eliminated immediately and that the people
who are trying disrupt the efforts of many dedicated contributors
should be blocked. I also have no doubt that you will appreciate the
frustration that many editors feel to see their work tarnished like
that.

Of course, I am not saying that your son did these edits. Many Internet
users have what an IP address that changes frequently. I do, because I
use an AOL account,  and frequently find myself blocked as well because
of the vandalism of other AOL users. Just today, our mailing list
contains complaints from other users, who found that they were blocked
unjustly.

If it was not your son who made the vandalism, I apologize to him and
you for the block and the comment. I also encourage him to learn more
about Wikipedia, particularly about what can and cannot be posted on
our website. We have had many valuable contributors his age, including
one who became an administrator.

All the best,

Danny Wool