[WikiEN-l] Arbitrator recusal

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Nov 13 01:13:40 UTC 2005

James D. Forrester wrote:
> Saying "no", and that "we would call up" is... odd. You are not Jimbo.
> In fact, the number of people who are not Jimbo is quite astonishingly
> large. "You" will do no such thing as "call up" people. It is, has been,
> and seems likely to continue to be, Jimbo's Committee - after all, it is
> merely a delegation of his powers given committee form.

And indeed if we ever did have such a case (where a majority of the
ArbCom felt it necessary to recuse) then we still have, as far as I
know, the very reasonable ability for me to simply talk quietly with a
number of people of good sense and then to do something ad hoc as per
their recommmenation and generally satisfactory to all, whether it be
make a decision in the case myself, call up past arbiters, form a
special committee, call a community vote, etc.

--Jimbo