[WikiEN-l] Blocked for nonexistent "3RR vio"

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Nov 13 13:39:35 UTC 2005

G'day SPUI,

> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Interchanges_on_Ontario_provincial_highway_401&action=history
>
> I have five edits there. The first was adding the top and bottom
> templates; it was not a revert. The last was making my "vote"; it was
>  also not a revert. Yet I've been blocked for a "3RR vio".
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=block&user=&page=User%3ASPUI

You disruptively attempted to close an AfD on an article that falls into
your area of ... what's that word that isn't "obsession" but means the
same thing?  You did so four times.  You then voted "speedy keep", with
your first sentence being the same as your edit summary.  Now, correct
me if I'm wrong --- feel free to add extra interpretations, anyone who
reads this --- but I think this could be interpreted in one of four ways:

   a) You closed an AfD you *knew* you shouldn't close, and were
      reverted.  You *knew* you would get into trouble if you kept going,
      but nonetheless attempted to disrupt the subpage a further three
      times.  This is blatant disruption, and warrants blocking.
   b) You deliberately continued to rv User:Aranda56's edits right up
      until you knew you'd hit the 3RR limit, then suddenly decided that
      maybe a note would be more appropriate than wholesale reversion.
      This is blatantly gaming the 3RR by engaging in an edit war within
      the "legal" limit, and warrants blocking.
   c) Your vote could be interpreted as a third rv, given that you'd
      already "expressed" your opinion so very disruptively so very many
      times and had it rvted.  This is an explicit violation of 3RR, and
      warrants blocking.
   d) You were being a dick.  This doesn't warrant blocking
      (necessarily), but is bloody annoying just the same.

Looking at the pages in question, I can see 'a', 'b', and 'd'.  I admit
that I don't agree with 'c' anymore than you do.  But it doesn't really
matter --- either way, you're blocked, deservedly so.

Of course, I'm not an admin.  Wiser heads may disagree.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"