[WikiEN-l] Re: Help needed for helpdesk-l

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Sun Nov 13 13:04:11 UTC 2005

>>Bugzilla is notoriously unusable for non-technical users.
>
> You mean users who can't read instructions carefully [1]. If you look
> for the right buttons everything is fairly easy (this is coming from a
> moderately technical user).

No offense, but this sounds like you have little experience in user
interface design. Users are not unable to read instructions, but rather
unwilling. A really good user interface doesn't need any instructions.

> [1] I know people like that--a link will be right in front of their
> face and they'll ask, "Where's the link?"

It is right in front of *your* face because you know the interface. It
is pointless (and arrogant) to point fingers at these people and mock
*them* as stupid when it is obviously the user interface that is failing
and that needs to be improved so that more people will find the link.

Why are we discussing this anyway? Would you seriously consider using
BugZilla as a professional corporate customer support platform? Would
you think many customers would be happy if some company did? If the
answers to these are "yes", then you must have really low expectations.
If the answers are "no", but you would still use it for Wikipedia, then
you have some really weird kind of logic.

Timwi