[WikiEN-l] Re: Arbitrator recusal

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 12 19:44:33 UTC 2005

James D. Forrester wrote:

> Michael Snow wrote:
>
>> James D. Forrester wrote:

>> arbitrators
>> resulted
>> fault

>> have
>> have
>> >
>> > Erm. What on Earth do you mean, "no"? Mark was entirely correct -
>> that > is exactly the policy we came up with back in January 2004,
>> when we > wrote the policies in the first place.
>>
>> That was the policy as it existed in its original draft form, but not
>> the policy that was actually adopted. The provision for "unrecusing"
>> already recused arbitrators was dropped from the policy based on my
>> objections, see [[Wikipedia talk:Arbitration policy comments]].
>
> I remember discussion about it, yes. It wasn't "dropped", though.

It was quite definitely dropped; I don't know where you get the idea
that it wasn't. We had a ratification vote on the arbitration policy in
April 2004, and Jimbo then approved the policy in conjunction with that
vote. The version of the policy being voted on
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Arbitration_policy&oldid=3025406
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Arbitration_policy&oldid=3025406>
) did not include the "unrecusal" provision. That provision had been
removed earlier in March because of my objection to it.

> > I refuse
>
>> to accept that this could be policy, formal or informal, since it's
>> never been done in practice and was specifically objected to at the
>> time.
>
> Hmm. You mean, in the same way that the clause in the 25th Ammendment
> to the Constitution of the United States allowing (the majority of?)
> the Cabinet to sign a letter stating that, in their opinion, the
> President is unfit for and can be removed from office, never having
> been used, is not actually part of the Constitution? Emergency
> special-powers rules exist for a particular reason.

No, I mean that this rule was never adopted as part of the policy, nor
as an amendment thereto. The objection was raised, acknowledged, and
changes made to accommodate it. I was trying to make it clear that I
still strongly object to an "unrecusal" policy. If you've got that
problem, give the case to Jimbo or the Board of Trustees, or empanel a
different group of arbitrators, but don't "unrecuse" people who are
legitimately recused. I've never heard of such a thing in life, and it's
inimical to notions of fairness and justice. I know Wikipedia
arbitration shouldn't require every aspect of legal due process, but
that doesn't mean we should invent new forms of process that actively
contravene the principles for which due process exists.

--Michael Snow