[WikiEN-l] Category:Soviet spies

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 06:11:49 UTC 2005

I'm happy with having some sort of sub-category for people for whom
there is no doubt about their espionage but were never convicted --
such as Theodore Hall. However the blanket category is certainly not
that.

I think even the "Alleged" would be too strong in some cases. A former
Soviet spy chief published a tell-all a few years back claiming to
have recruited Robert Oppenheimer and Enrico Fermi as spies, something
for which no evidence has ever been found (and not without both an
army of historians and the FBI looking!). Nobody takes the claim very
seriously, though it is an "allegation" and not from a non-notable
source.

The problem with just saying "little doubt" is *whose* doubt? One can
produce an army of quacks to support any POV, of course, but that's
not NPOV.

The word "academic" is a bit stodgy, admittedly, but in general what
is meant is something like "respectable, established expert community"
-- which usually means academic historians in this specific situation.
If you can come up with a better way to state it, by all means...

FF