[Wikipedia-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] Re: Privacy policy and editing anonymously notice.

Carl Witty cwitty at newtonlabs.com
Tue Nov 8 02:19:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 10:09 -0800, Bryan Derksen wrote:
> Timwi wrote:
>
> >     Your [[IP address]] will be recorded when you click 'Save'. If
> >     you are not [[Special:Userlogin|logged in]], it will be shown
> >     publicly. See [[Wikipedia:Privacy policy|privacy policy]].
>
> To make it even less scary, how about:
>
> :Unless you are [[Special:Userlogin|logged in]] your edit will be signed
> with your [[IP address]] when you click 'Save'. See our
> [[Wikipedia:Privacy policy|privacy policy]].

Is there an advantage to having different messages for logged-in and
not-logged-in users?

Logged in:
Your edit will be signed with your user name when you click 'Save'.  See
our [[Wikipedia:Privacy policy|privacy policy]].

Not logged in:
Your edit will be signed with your [[IP address]] when you click 'Save'.
See our [[Wikipedia:Privacy policy|privacy policy]].

(Actually, I like Bryan's combined version better than these; but maybe
somebody can come up with better wording for separated messages.)

Carl Witty