[WikiEN-l] The promise is "edit this page"

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Tue Nov 1 15:32:44 UTC 2005

>From: "charles matthews" <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>
>
>> How about the much simpler approach of restricting page creation to
>> logged-in users?
>
>No, no and three times no!
>
>Do we want people to try test edits of [[World War II]] rather than creating
>[[pancakesMMM!!!]] as a sandbox/test edit.  No we don't.

We don't know that this would be the effect. A great deal of logically
plausible human behavior doesn't happen. For example, nothing in a newspaper
vending machine stops someone for paying for one copy and taking several.

>I find that many anons are graduate students very much able to help with
>developing WP.  We need these guys!  We need them to understand that 'libre
>et gratuit', as the French helpfully put it, is exactly that.  We ask no
>more than that you come and edit; we put no barriers in place;

We promise that you can "edit this page," not "create an article." The policy
is "zero-threshold editing," not "zero-threshold article creation.'