[WikiEN-l] Re: Webcomics/Deletion again

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 16:06:12 UTC 2005

>From: Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>
>
>JAY JG wrote:
>
>>Sean, I'm very rarely on AfD, but from what I've seen (and what others
>>have said here) the AfD appears to make reasonable decisions 95-98%
>>percent of the time - it's the last 2-5% of controversial decisions that
>>are causing all the angst here, combined with concern over a "poisonous
>>atmosphere" on the page.
>>
>>The page deals with over 100 articles a day, so it's easy enough to find
>>examples of bad decisions.  However, no system is perfect, and the
>>error-rate at AfD does not appear to be particularly unreasonable for a
>>human intensive process working under fairly loose guidelines.  It
>>certainly has not been demonstrated that the any other system would have a
>>lower error rate.  Furthermore, it should be kept in mind that "hard cases
>>make bad law".  Finally, as has been pointed out by Tony, AfD itself has a
>>limited capacity, so the overall "harm" it can do Wikipedia, at least in
>>terms of articles deleted in error (or, for that matter, kept in error),
>>is miniscule.
>
>Your ratio of controversial articles seems about right.  The problem is in
>the tenacity with which controversial deletions are protected.  No damage
>would be done by allowing the controversial ones more time, or allowing
>them to be easily undeleted for further discussion for as long as it takes.

So what you're suggesting is that AfD simply needs to be modified a little
to allow longer decision periods for, say, articles in the 65-75% delete
range, and that the rules for VfU need to be loosened somewhat?  These don't
seem to me to be insurmountable obstacles, or indications of a completely
broken process.

By the way, my (admittedly limited) experience in this area tells me that
articles voted for deletion often take many more than 5 days to be deleted,
and that many VfU nominations consist of disgruntled article authors
complaining that "my article is the truth, you're just censoring the
truth!!!"

Jay.