[WikiEN-l] Proposal: Requests for rollback

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 06:56:06 UTC 2005

On 6/29/05, Rebecca <misfitgirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/29/05, Michael Turley <michael.turley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think this is an excellent idea.
> >
> > I am not an admin, and do not want to be an admin at this time.
> >
> > I would be interested in having the rollback feature available to me,
> > and I think it would lead to me doing at least a little more
> > counter-vandalism work.
>
> I strongly oppose it. Rollback is one of three four technical features
> made accessible to administrators as people that are generally
> trusted. The anti-admin lobby has tried to build adminship up into
> something it wasn't meant to be, isn't, never was and never will be,
> but that doesn't mean we need to accomodate them in this way. If you
> want the tools, then there's a page and a very simple process for you
> to go through to get them - else don't whinge when you don't have
> them.
>
> -- ambi

Whinge?  How is saying "I think that's a good idea" complaining or
protesting in an annoying or persistent manner?  (I had to look up
"whinge", as I'd heard it, but never was fully certain what that
meant.)  That seems a little aggressive, and more than a bit rude,
considering I only mentioned my support of a very simple idea.

(Anti-admin lobby?  Do you really think people get together and say
"how can we oppose the admins today"?)

Back to the subject: exactly why are you so strongly opposed to
separating the tools, especially along these lines?  It seems to me
that this tool exerts exactly NO control over other users, while all
the other admin tools that I am aware of do exert a degree of
dominance over other users.  Why shouldn't this be available
individually to those who aren't interested in the powers that include
domination?

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused