[WikiEN-l] Re: Pseudoscience category - GSPOV

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 28 18:52:44 UTC 2005

Haukur Þorgeirsson wrote:

>Habj wrote:
>
>"Quackery and alternative medicine is not the same. In Great Britain,
>healers etc. are often welcomed to work in the hospitals. That is
>alternative medicine/complementary medicin, choose what term you like
>best. The German ex-med-doctor (forgot his name) who claim that cancer
>is pure psychological and cancer patients should leave the normal
>health care and go to him for some kind of therapy, is a definity
>quack."
>
>By my definition quack medicine is a remedy falsely presented as
>having curative powers. In this sense the overwhelming majority
>of "alternative medicine" is quackery. Homeopaths, for example,
>sell people water and tell them that it will cure their illness.

"Falsely presented" is a point that would need to be proven.  Do you
have evidence that homeopathic medicines are not curative, or that they
are just water?  That may very well be the case, but I would not be
prepared to jump to that conclusion.  Making definitive statements about
these practices requires more than parroting the opinions of their
opponents.

>If you want to make a distinction between alternative medicine
>and quackery would you object if I moved [[homeopathy]] to the
>quackery category?

I would.

Ec