[WikiEN-l] Pseudoscience category - GSPOV

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Tue Jun 28 16:22:50 UTC 2005

> This was what was more or less thrashed out on [[Talk:Alternative
> medicine]] - that "alternative medicine" may or may not be rubbish, but is
> sincere; but quackery includes knowing deception. FWIW.

I don't see how this is a workable distinction.
It's not the treatments that are sincere or not
- it's their practitioners. I'm sure there are
lots of sincere homeopaths - but who's to say
that there aren't a few who know that the remedies
don't work (better than any placebo) but sell
them anyway?

Likewise, how do you know that [[Jomanda]] wasn't
sincere and acting in good faith? And how can you
know that practitioners of [[Chelation therapy]]
aren't sincere? Both are currently in the quackery
category.

Regards,
Haukur