[WikiEN-l] Copyright and Britannica Article List

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 16:58:51 UTC 2005

On 6/25/05, DF <dragons_flight at yahoo.com> wrote:
> So what now?
>
> Either we need to accept that such a list, though
> potentially useful, is too much of a copyright concern
> to keep around.

OR

We could just realize that we are removing the list already... A
couple of entries at a time. :)

This isn't in the main namespace so it's not directly a part of our
encyclopedia and it is not permanent since we are already removing it.

I am in favor of strict copyvio rules on the content in our articles,
our work needs to be unquestionably free and it's not acceptable to
taint our work with 'maybe' material. I'd always favor removing the
questionable since we have the resources to recreate almost
anything...

However, I do not believe it is as important to be as aggressive with
meta content. A violation outside of the main namespace, in our work
groups, and on our talk pages would need to be fixed if we found one,
but since the production of that material is not our primary concern
we have little to worry about taint from potentially illegally used
material.  If we discover that something in one of those namespaces is
clearly infringing, of course we should remove it but there usually
isn't as much need to be aggressive in removing potentially violating
material.

So, I think that we can answer this question without a strong
determination as to the copyvio status of the page... We should not
take action because the problem is solving itself.