[WikiEN-l] A new tool being used to encourage wikipedia participation

Tom Steinberg mysociety at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:11:13 UTC 2005

Hello Everyone,

I am the director of the charitable organisation mySociety, part of
the UK's 'civic hacking' scene. I am writing because last week we
launched a new site which some of our users have already turned
towards helping both Wikipedia and Project Gutenberg:

http://www.pledgebank.com/gutenberg

(and more modestly)

http://www.pledgebank.com/wikipediapage

As you can see PledgeBank works by helping to reassure people that if
they choose to do something of altruistic value, they won't be left
doing it all on their own, effectively wasting their effort.

PledgeBank could be a handy tool for building critical mass around new
WikiUniverse projects, especially potentially niche ones. i.e, you can
say you'll only start when enough people have signed up, like this guy
is doing here:

http://www.pledgebank.com/parking

Anyway, that's all from me. If you've any thoughts, questions or
comments, please get in touch.

all the best,

Tom Steinberg

--