[WikiEN-l] I will be leaving the project

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 21 20:35:37 UTC 2005

Kelly Martin wrote:

>On 6/21/05, Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.org> wrote:
>

>>I am very much copyright-unparanoid, but in the absence of any
>>credible indication that the entity calling itself CoolCat wrote the
>>material, we must presume the opposite.  If CoolCat disagrees with
>>that presumption, the burden of proof is on she/he/it.
>>

>Whatever happened to "assume good faith"?

No need to stop doing that.  Verifiability also applies.  In most
situations the contributor's copyright will go unchallenged; that's a
presumption of good faith.  Anyone can raise a reasonable doubt (as
opposed to a random challenge); that's when the contributor's burden of
response kicks in. If he says that his work is completely original that
shifts the burden, because he cannot be asked to show something that
does not exist.  If the similarity of his contributions to something
else goes beyond coincidence, then he has a need to clarify the situation.

Ec