[WikiEN-l] Content, reason and the ArbCom

Jon thagudearbh at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 18:49:17 UTC 2005

Fred - let me clarify the position as far as the English and Welsh national curriculum is concerned.

In 2002 the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority, which sets the English and Welsh National Curriculum for state schools, for the first time added into the history curriculum that children should be taught what BCE/CE means. Nothing more than that - just what it means. That in itself caused angry letters to be written to some newspapers, and the Evening Standard article to which someone else has already provided the URL to.

The QCA (no doubt aware of the public outcry that would occur if they did anything different) made clear that this does not mean they are introducing BCE/CE notation - they themselves continue and will continue to use BC/AD notation. They did note that children could, if they wished, use BCE/CE notation. Despite the QCA continuing to use BC/AD notation itself, a very very small number of renegate "right-on" teachers have insisted their pupils use BCE/CE - only for an angry response from parents to follow.

In summary - the English and Welsh national curriculum requires children to be taught what BCE/CE means. The QCA continues and will continue to use BC/AD notation, which remains the form of notation used throughout the QCA's syllabuses. Wherever there have been attempts by a small number of teachers acting on their own initiative to require BCE/CE notation in UK, they have normally been met by an angry response.

Jon

Fred Bauder wrote:

It seems to have been adopted as part of the curriculum in the UK.

Fred