[WikiEN-l] Re: RickK leaving: adminship has become much more than "no big deal" and that's poisonous

Rebecca misfitgirl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:35:01 UTC 2005

> If being an administrator is no big deal then removing that status
> should be no big deal as well.  Perhaps being desysopped should be
> automatic for everybody afte maybe a year.  There could then be a three
> month waiting period before being readmitted.  Three months of enforced
> humility might be good for some people.  Since this would apply to ALL
> admins there could be no claim of descrimination.

Oh, come off it, Ec. You treat sysop status like it's being elected
President of the United States. It is a mop and a broom that
occasionally proves to be somewhat useful. It isn't a source of power
or any such thing. It is just that taking that mop and broom away
without a damn good reason - in effect, punishing people, is not
helpful, as in a volunteer project, punishing people without good
reason will make them leave. Or alternatively, having privileges that
in many cases are never used controversially taken away for three
months for no apparent reason ("enforced humility" counts as no
apparent reason in my book) would likely have the same effect.
Seriously, guys. Why not stop trying to fight the power, and go write
an encyclopedia?