[WikiEN-l] Proposed policy:Troublemakers not welcome here

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Jun 21 15:07:37 UTC 2005

> --- Rebecca <misfitgirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have no idea why we tolerate this growing group of idiots
> who just
> > camp out on wikien-l and VFD with some sort of problem with
> authority.
> > I just saw one of them (who has barely made any edits to the main
> > namespace in the last fortnight) seriously suggest that
> admins should
> > be desysopped for as little as a snide remark. I'm getting
> really sick
> > of this.
>
> Then somebody will need to bring some cases against them to
> the ArbCom. If some users are causing trouble and
> contributing very little to the main namespace, then we
> should get rid of them. We need to ask this question of them:
> Does having them around help us toward our primary goal of
> creating the best encyclopedia possible? If not, then they
> are parasites/trolls that should be shown the door.
>
> -- mav

I agree, and I think this should be made policy. I came to Wikipedia for
one reason, and one reason only. To help make a great encyclopedia which
is free for all.

In fact, I'm so good at it that I've been *hired* by another
encyclopedia project - which is using mailman for its mailing list and
MediaWiki for its articles. Sorry, it's not open to the public yet, but
Jimbo and Angela know about it.

Anyway, our little community (in the other project) places priority on
the success of the project and thus we all get along very well.
Troublemakers are not welcome there.

Managing volunteers is a bit harder, I'll grant you, but the same
standard should apply. If you're more trouble than you're worth, here's
the door. You want another chance, fine. Come back next tomorrow (or
next week) and we'll see.

Let's make this an official policy. I'd be more than happy to have this
standard applied to me. Have I been pulling my weight the last few
weeks? No? Then boot me the hell out.

Am I rubbing people the wrong way, making snide remarks, moving and
refactoring text too boldly? Fine. Tell me to stop. User:Ta Bu Shi Da Yu
did just that, I haven't touched the gitmo book abuse page since last
week. (In fact, it's partly because of Tabu's leadership that I
supported him for admin; it's nearly unanimous, by the way.)

But if we had a more orderly crew, then no one would WANT to take
matters in their own hands like I did recently: I thought I saw NPOV
violations, and I sprang into action like a blizzard (or maybe a
hailstorm - sorry if I bruised anybody's head). RickK thought he saw a
violation -- what was it, copyright material by coolcat? -- and jumped
into high gear.

It takes WEEKS to get the arbcom to act. Did you ever try filling out
the required paperwork? It's easier to get a driver's license.

We need something else. I know we can find it. We just have to want it
enough.

Uncle Ed