[WikiEN-l] WikiProjects overriding global guidelines?

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 02:49:57 UTC 2005

On 6/14/05, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:

> I'm quite severely disturbed by the apparent habit of participants in
> some WikiProjects to completely disregard Wikipedia's Manual of Style
> and various guidelines, claiming that their pet WikiProject has their
> own pet style guidelines, as if Wikipedia's global guidelines have no
> say anyway.
>
> Is this really how things are going now? Articles on topic X follow a
> certain style while articles on topic Y follow a completely different style?

I would congratulate the WikiProjects for doing the sensible thing and
avoiding any possible ambiguity before it can occur.

Taking your example, it might be "easier" to put Hide and Q at [[Hide
and Q]]. But someone looking for that episode will either follow a
link there or type it into the search box, either way they'll find it.
And people who come across it randomly will know from the title
exactly what it is. An episode of TNG, even though they don't know
what TNG is.

I agree with Gdr, specialities have their own naming conventions, for
very good reasons.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com