[WikiEN-l] Discussion on English Wikipedia in languages other than English

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:03:38 UTC 2005

On 13/06/05, David Friedland <david at nohat.net> wrote:
> I have noted an increase of discussion on English Wikipedia in languages
> other than English lately. For now, I'll forgo naming languages and
> listing particular offenders here.
>
> Do we have a policy on this? Should we?

I don't see a need for a policy. It's a wiki, so anyone is free to add
translations, or even replace the original text with English.

I regularly leave messages on talk pages and user talk pages in
English on the non-English wikis
(<http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discussion_MediaWiki:Extlink_sample> or
<http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:PiaCarrot#Administrator> for
example). Should I be banned from communicated in those places? Or
should people assume good faith rather than assuming distrust and
simply ask me to find someone to translate it if they feel a need to
read those messages?

Angela.