[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee Seeking Comment

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 03:50:21 UTC 2005

?
>On 6/6/05, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> > Sean Barrett wrote:
> > > Why are old Soviet records "original research" while old US records
> > > (NVR, DANFS, &c.) are okay?
> >
> > I'm not saying that they are, just that somebody is bound to try to make
> > that point.
>
>It disturbs me that "No original research", originally intended to
>prevent crackpot theories with no following being pushed on Wikipedia,
>is starting to mutate into something quite different.

It hasn't started to mutate into anything different, though some people
pretend it has.  What typically happens is this: An editor sees a cited POV
they strongly disagree with in some article, so they construct a novel
argument to counter that POV, often even citing sources for the various
facts used to construct the argument.  When challenged on the grounds that
they are doing Original Research, they either counter by saying each of the
facts used to create the argument is properly cited, or (if they've been
around Wikipedia for a while) they grumble on Wikien-l that the arguments is
obvious, and that the NOR policy is being stretched to cover areas for which
it was never intended. When it is pointed out that obvious arguments will be
cited *somewhere*, the response is that some things are so obvious (e.g.
"like the fact that the sun rises in the east") that it would actually be
hard to find someone specifically stating them!  Then e-mails fly back and
forth on the list, eventually everything dies down for two months, rinse and
repeat.

Jay.