[WikiEN-l] Guess who's back

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 14:32:31 UTC 2005

Phroziac wrote:
> That sounds ok to me, but, I think the user should be pointed to
> relevant policies on the first warning also. I don't like the view
> source part though, sounds a little evil. I don't feel it would do
> much other then discourage the person from editing. er even make them
> think it's a bug in the software and go report it.
>
> On 7/28/05, Alphax <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Proposal for a new policy:
>>
>>1. User does something stupid -> User is warned.
>>2. User does something stupid -> User is warned, pointed to relevant
>>policy pages.
>>3. User does something stupid -> User is blocked for 12 hours (which
>>will most likely be overnight), pointed to relevant policy pages.
>>
>>At stage 3 (that is, third act of stupidity) some software changes are
>>required. Namely:
>>
>>* Editing restriction to user's talk page (and *possibly* subpages of
>>their user_talk page)
>>* Edit link is automagically changed into View Source, but visiting an
>>&action=edit page will still reset the block
<snip>

There are two problems I see at present. The first one is ignorance -
the "How was I supposed to know I wasn't allowed to do that?" defence.
Yes, the user should probably be pointed to policy pages on the first
warning.

My present way of dealing with the clueless is:

if(!user.welcomed)
{
    assumeGoodFaith();
    welcomeUser();
}
else if(!user.warned)
{
    assumeGoodFaith();
    warnUser();
}
else
{
    warnUser();
}

The second problem has been outlined in a message just in...

- --
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
OpenPGP key ID: 0xF874C613  |    X   Against HTML email & vCards
http://tinyurl.com/cc9up    |   / \