[WikiEN-l] Re: Example vs. Original research

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 27 20:53:17 UTC 2005

Delirium

> The sort of paper that buries its reader in gratuitous and
> only-tangentially-relevant equations and data tables as a substitute for
> actually making a good argument is sadly altogether too common.  Most do
> get caught by peer review (at least in good publications and conferences),
> but there are still a fair number that slip through...

Bad papers get published - no surprise there.  It would be a surprise if
they rose high up the citation statistics.  The comparison with political
rhetoric breaks down right there, doesn't it?  Simplistic political stuff
generally gets far more attention than carefully-crafted leaders and columns
in the quality press.

> But regardless, *we* don't want to do that.  A few of the articles that
> get too citation-happy do seem to do this sometimes... when every single
> sentence ends with an external link (half of them broken, since the web is
> mostly ephemeral), and the writing style is "a bunch of gratuitous facts
> are asserted with no coherent explanation", something is wrong...

Could be the people who use 'quote your sources' as a way to win arguments,
rather than improve the encyclopedia?

Charles