[WikiEN-l] Pipermail Privacy Concern

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Tue Jul 26 00:03:55 UTC 2005

andyl2004 at sympatico.ca (andyl2004 at sympatico.ca) [050726 06:18]:

> I really would like to avoid this problem in the future and either have these pipermail entries edited so as to remove my full name or have them hidden from search engines by having a "NOINDEX" command placed in the html codes for those pages.
> The pages in question are
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2004-April/012194.html
> http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2004-April/012194.html (previous entry title)

While not wishing to denigrate your concerns, I must note that as a public
mailing list for a public project (one in which all edits made by any
editor can be seen by anyone on the web at any time), such is exceedingly
unlikely to be our practice if at all avoidable.

I have updated the list info to say:

  <b>All emails to wikien-l are available on the public web archive.</b> If
  you do not want your message on the World Wide Web, do not send it to a
  Wikimedia mailing list.

Although there's a link to the archives already on the listinfo page (the
one you go to to join the list), so it's really not like subscribers aren't
warned.

(I don't have the power to remove messages from the archive, by the way.)

- d.