[WikiEN-l] userpage and user subpage protection

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Jul 25 19:54:07 UTC 2005

Angela wrote:

>If you want a non-editable page, please don't use a wiki. I see no
>reason user pages need to be protected any more than any other page.
>You don't own these pages just because you created them in the user
>namespace. See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ownership> and
><http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Protected_pages_considered_harmful>.

In practice, though, users are generally considered to "own" their user
pages.  If someone edited my user page, I would probably move their
comments to my talk page, and this seems to be standard practice---a
user's user page is only for them to edit, barring extenuating
circumstances such as the user being banned.

-Mark