[WikiEN-l] Re: Plagiarism Policy, was A Missing Policy

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Jul 24 17:17:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Matt Brown wrote:

> Geoff, it's not that we're attacking you or thinking you're whinging;
> it's simply that, although there is no EXPLICIT Wikipedia plagiarism
> policy, there are Wikipedia policies that effectively prohibit it;
> these being copyright policy and citing sources.

That wasn't the intent of my response, Matt, & I'm sorry that I gave
that impression.

My point in responding to you email (which I picked because I felt it
summarized many points I wanted to address) was that whether or not I
understood what plagiarism means, or whether this concept could be
applied to Wikipedia, there is an actual case I feel it could apply
to, & I think some input there would be helpful.

[snip]

> All that said, it would not hurt to have a Wikipedia:Plagiarism policy
> that puts all that in one place.

Agreed. Even if it is nothing more than a section at CITE explaining
that citing sources is also encouraged because it prevents plagiarism.

Geoff