[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Wikipedia is fun, but credibility varies a lot

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Jul 21 23:12:16 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>--- steve v <vertigosteve at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Plus, she wrote it at about a high school level.
>>Yeesh.
>>

>To be fair, most newspapers (at least in the U.S.) require stories to be
>written at that level or a bit below in order to maximize readership.

The IRS went through that with the 1040 Tax Guide some years back.  The
result was a guide that was twice as thick and failed to have any effect
on those who had a hard time reading it in the first place.  It was
certainly no help to those who might previously have grasped the
concepts, and who now found themselves wading through excess verbiage.

>She did send me a kind email in response. Basically she is willing to learn
>more about us and agreed that all media need to be looked at critically.

Hooray!  A convert. :-)

Ec