[WikiEN-l] Worrying trends

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Thu Jul 21 20:28:03 UTC 2005

Poor, Edmund W (Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com) [050721 23:56]:

> A lot of problems Wikipedia has comes down to:
> * "I want the web site to reflect my own ideas, feelings and desires."
> This comes into endless conflict with our stated mission of creating an
> unbiased yet comprehensive free encyclopedia. Nonetheless, we've done an
> outstanding job. We've got the world's attention, but we need to figure
> out how to take it to the next level.

We're having fun with this on [[WP:SCN]] (a Scientology wikiproject). You
have the views of the CoS members and the views of the critics, and they're
basically almost utterly incompatible. But NPOV is achievable! With great
effort! (Also, we have a recently ex-member who's doing a great job on the
articles about the "tech", i.e. the substance of the religion itself.)
[[Xenu]] is achieving widespread fame in the blogosphere, and is being
quoted (uncredited) in just about every recent press article on Tom
Cruise's proselytisation for the Church. So we're getting just a little
attention. I'm sure we'll weather it, and Wikipedia's immune systems appear
to be kicking in just fine in at least one case ...

- d.