[WikiEN-l] Worrying trends

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 18:27:25 UTC 2005

--- "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> wrote:
> Not rambling, Steve, that was a darn good rant!
Aw shucks, Ed. Thanks.

> Our community of volunteer writers still have not
> developed sufficient
> dedication to avoiding bias and incivility. This
> might be due (in part)
> to a lingering sense of anarchistic idealism.
Well, in any case, for anyone (newbies, etc) who may
not quite understand the fragility of the project--any
number of "anarchist" tendencies can take root.

> Steve and I have revived the Mediation Committee
> (Mgm asked me to co-chair). I'm trying to wrap up
two >VERY DIFFICULT article mediations before my
vacation >tomorrow.
> ...comes down to:
> * "I want the web site to reflect my own ideas,
> feelings and desires."

I.e. the simple and basic lack of individual
understanding or fidelity to NPOV concepts has become
a broad systematic problem. Hence the notion of an
NPOV committee remains something to think about.

> Nonetheless, we've done an outstanding job. We've
got the world's attention, but we need to figure
> out how to take it to the next level.

Jolly good. And "next level" of course doesnt mean a
"pushing to 1.0" mentality, or even any
"commercially-funded real-time-DB-access
paid-academic-supervised Wikipedia-fork," but rather a
simple refocus on the encyclopedia as the main
objective.

SV