[WikiEN-l] Worrying trends

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 18:21:34 UTC 2005

>From: Chris Jenkinson <chris at starglade.org>
>
>I must say that I think that everyone who does not respond to a (good
>faith) questioning comment asking them why should have their
>vote/opinion on the matter disregarded. If they are not willing to say
>why they believe what they do then they should not be considered
>contributing to the discussion. Wikipedia is rightfully not a democracy
>where you can vote for whatever reason you like. Any position someone
>takes must be able to be challenged.

Well, speaking personally, I've probably voted in support of 3 dozen RFAs,
and only voted against 3 applications, each time listing my reasons.  In
each case I was challenged, sometimes in a most rude way, for more detail.
When I provided it, giving links to examples of policy violations etc.,  I
was attacked again.  Those who did not give reasons  for rejecting the
applications were not subject to these violations of [[Wikipedia:Civility]]
policy.  It would be most tempting, in the future, to simply vote "No" and
refuse to give a reason, in order to avoid this kind of unpleasant
treatment.

Jay.