[WikiEN-l] Re: Chilling effect

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Fri Jul 15 18:01:29 UTC 2005

Norath Norath wrote:

> I hypothesise that if people are blocked for trying to hold admins
> accountable, the number of people trying to hold admins accountable
> will fall.

This hypothesis is obviously true, because "If A then B" is always true
whenever A is false.

In other words: People DO NOT get blocked for trying to hold admins
accountable. Your hypothesis is working from this false assumption.

Although it is indeed the case that many people do find themselves
blocked when they try to hold admins accountable for something, it is
never directly the reason for the block. It is usually because the
attempt to hold admins accountable is phrased in a way that many admins
or other users find condescending or otherwise offensive.

And it's usually admins who decide at what place someone oversteps the
bounds. And they usually feel that it's common sense where the bounds are...

Timwi