[WikiEN-l] U.S. copyright law and European servers

Nyenyec N nyenyec at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:23:28 UTC 2005

This is somewhat related to the ongoing "fair use" discussion.

AFAIK, there are Wikipedia servers in Paris and Amsterdam.

Is it OK for Wikipedia to use an image under U.S. copyright law based
on "fair use" and the given image is hosted on French or Dutch server
and is served to French or Dutch clients but is copyrighted under
French or Dutch law?
Isn't that a copyright violation?

(I assumed that there is no equivalent of "fair use" in France or in
the Netherlands, but I really don't have a clue...)

Wouldn't this be a problem as more and more servers are installed in
an increasing number of countries?

Thanks,
nyenyec