[WikiEN-l] Improving ArbCom's lot medium-term

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 12 13:44:40 UTC 2005

"David Gerard" wrote

> I'm not sure how to get it to scale. I can only see the workload going up
> as the editor population goes up, and hence the problem children in
> proportion.

Indeed.  I see that Alexa today for the first time makes WP one of its top
World 50 sites.  WP stands at 35 in its English-language ranking,
immediately below the Dell and then Apple sites.  The reach has become
impressive.

I suppose there are just a handful of options, such as 'lower courts', and
summary procedures in the less serious cases, which are realistic for
extrapolating the ArbCom into the future.  That future is not so far away,
given that WP's growth is untrammelled, it seems, except by the need to get
more heroics out of the developers and servers.

Look at it this way: no bad-guy meltdowns have occurred; and, what is more,
the idea that law-and-order would systematically fail unless this and that
draconian measure were in place is daily refuted.  IP editors come and go
freely, still.  The solution we have is still well adapted to making 'soft
security' look very good.

> Some people also seem to regard the AC as a parent-like authority to run
> in case of conflict, or to try to use a RFAr as a way to bludgeon their
> opponent in debate. This is considered less than ideal.

Redress - my heart sinks every time someone says 'redress' - the mission is
not to redress things but to encyclopedicate the planet.

Charles