[WikiEN-l] Wikimediation

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 05:36:44 UTC 2005

In general I like the idea of Mediation reform, but
there are some things to sort out, namely that
specific proposals require some practical
justification. First of all, having "Mediation" and
"Wikimediation" steps in the same WP:DR process can be
confusing -- where's the line with regard to roles
between the two? Secondly, WP:MC is so out of the loop
vis-à-vis the WP:AC, that its not proper to claim that
there is a direct line of process there.

I always thought it silly for MC to be an AC lite
anyway. WP:MC was originally built in as an
afterthought to the AC, and to assert a finer
difference, some strict bounds were implemented,
because 1) it was thought that mediators should be
prevented from becoming like the Arbcom, and 2) so
that somehow through strict WMIN (~WWIN) definitions,
its role would be more defined and sensible. IMHO
whats happened is that its generally been a bit
confused. MC was defined relative to AC, but without a
clear vision to what MC could do that would persist
through WPs since quadrupling in size and users.
Having no binding authority, and otherwise bogged down
with a "mutual acceptance" policy (now experimentally
being torched BTW), the result has been a bit
disorganized, and slow.

For what purpose does MC exist, then? The values
promoted by the mediating role are ones which should
be  promoted for everyone, not just a committee. I
think that weve had some things backwards with MC for
a while, and I think WP would be better served with an
open Mediation process.

Then what should the current MC committee do? Oversee
the open committee? I dont know. Ive suggested an NPOV
committee would be useful, which sort of interprets
NPOV issues case by case, and makes a centralized
reference database for how to approach these cases.
Depending on your view of disputes on WP and the
disruptiveness of these toward articles and their
improvement, then you can say an NPOV committee is
either a great thing or waste of time.

Recap: Promote open mediation / moderation principles
-- consolodate specific NPOV debates to a committee.

~S

I like the idea of opening up the