[WikiEN-l] Fair use claims

Peta Holmes holmespeta at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 23:06:56 UTC 2005

While we're on the subject of copyrights I'd like to
try out a fair use claim to see what people think.

Currently there are two images of Sharbat Gula which
are claimed as fair use. This woman is soley famous
for appearing on the cover of National Geographic as a
Afghani refugee in 1985, in 2002 the same photographer
took her photo again, both images are used in the
article and the original is also included on the
photographers page (Steve McCurry). The photographer
explicitly forbids reuse of the images wihtout
permission. Neither image description pages gives a
rationale for fair use.

I think the fair use claim on these images is
extremely shaky, and the only image that would be fair
use in the Sharbat Gula article would be the National
Geographic cover since it is discussed in the context
of the article. The use of the image in the
photographers page is most likely not fair use.
Opinions?

If someone wants to set up a fair use verification
page along the lines of the image sleuthing page I'd
be happy to help out. Targeting images in featured and
FAC articles would probably be a good place to start.

Peta Holmes (nixie)