[WikiEN-l] Wikimediation

slimvirgin at gmail.com slimvirgin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 20:45:40 UTC 2005

On 7/12/05, Phil Sandifer <sandifer at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hot on the heels of my comments about the RfC procedure, I've created
> [[Wikipedia:Wikimediation]], which I think will work much like I want
> RfC to work, without leading to agonizing debates over whether to
> change something. Basically, it's an opportunity for communal
> mediation, where people can leave constructive comments on how
> disputes and behavior might be handled better and more productively.

Phil, I think this is a great idea. Thanks for setting it up.

I have a question. You wrote on the page that it's not intended as a
dry run for an RfC or arbitration, because it's intended to be
non-confrontational. However, if someone were to take a case through
Wikimediation, do you envisage that it could be cited as part of the
dispute-resolution process to allow a case to proceed before the
arbcom? Or is your preference that the two be kept entirely separate?

The reason I ask is that I'm currently dealing with an editor who's in
the habit of launching personal attacks. I'm considering approaching
the arbcom, and so I have to begin dispute resolution. I really
dislike the RfC process because it becomes so vitriolic, and so I'm
thinking about writing it up for Wikimediation instead. However, one
of my aims in doing so would be to fulfill the arbcom requirement of
having tried alternative means of resolving the issue.

Would you see that as an inappropriate use of Wikimediation?

Sarah