[WikiEN-l] Changes to RfC Procedures?

Phil Sandifer sandifer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 12 16:41:35 UTC 2005

I've proposed a change or addition to the RfC procedures on the talk
page of [[WP:RFC]]. I encourage people to have a look there, but the
upshot is that I'd like to see RfCs stop being adversarial/
prosecutorial mechanisms that are mostly a rehearsal for an arbcom
case, and instead be what they should have been all along -
opportunities for users to give constructive comments on each other's
conduct and editing.

My hope is that the RfC will fill a role more akin to mediation, in
which people can go "Oh, wow, a lot of people do wish I'd tone it
down a bit, even though they basically like what I contribute to
articles" or "Wow, a lot of people do think I'm a little brusque with
my administrative actions." Ideally, RfCs would be something people
would consider starting about themselves, asking for input and
council, and that the current petty rules-lawyering about whether an
RfC is "properly" certified would end.

I invite, well, comments. :)

-Snowspinner