[WikiEN-l] Re: New fair use tag proposal

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Mon Jul 11 13:17:46 UTC 2005

At Political Research Associates, we are a U.S. non-profit that guards our copyrighted material for a variety of reasons not worth debating on this list.  We have come up with a way we think protects Wikipedia as a "Fair-Use" user of some of our material that remains copyrighted, but for which we give explicit permission to Wikipedia for use AND state in a public online file that PRA considers the use by Wikipedia to be "Fair Use" because of its value as research and in the public interest.

I would very much not want the "online cult of everything should be free" to force the removal of our material from Wiki on the odd chance that some downstream user might not read the permission/copyright blurb and just use the material for commercial purposes, which is one of the uses to which we would object.

For examples:

See the picture (yes...of me...an editor asked for a better photo) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Berlet, and mouse hover and click on the picture and click on the permission/copyright notice.

Look for the chart down the page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roots_of_anti-Semitism and do the same.

I offer these a possible alternative, and hope that folks can see why this might be one way to obtain permission in a way that protects Wikipedia and real non-profit or research/scholarly use that benefits the public.

Chip Berlet
senior analyst
Political Research Associates
and Wiki editor  [User:Cberlet]