[WikiEN-l] Thank you RickK

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 09:11:57 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:
> Alphax said on July 5:
>
>> Michael Turley wrote:
>>
>>> I'm always disappointed when I hear of people leaving, but I'd rather
>>> have an unstable person leave because of a failed admin nomination than
>>> promote an unstable person to adminship.  At least this way, the
>>> instability has only driven a single user away.
>
>> Um, you seem to forget the case of RickK - an unstable admin who left
>> and deleted pages when they went...
>
> This is a great inflated bubble of an argument.

Yes it is. I'm sorry I wrote that.

> Firstly we're told that RickK was unstable.  No evidence is presented.

I know, it was in the context of the previous posts. A very poor choice
of words on my part.

> Secondly we're told that RickK "deleted pages" when he went.
>
> Well actually all RickK did when he went was delete his user space
> articles.   As he was a member in good standing when he left, he was
> surely entitled to do so.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=RickK&page=

I think discussion after the event has proved otherwise - for the same
reason that people are encouraged to archive their talk pages instead of
just blanking them (or at least providing links to diffs before
blanking). Deleting his user and talk pages was felt by at least some to
be innappropriate. Again, it was in the context of previous discussion.

> I object strongly to the characterisation of RickK as an unstable
> administrator.  He was one of the best we've had, he worked long and hard,
> and he finally decided he'd had enough.  I wish he would come back, but if
> he's had enough then we should be thanking him for his long and faithful
> service.  Which I do gladly.  Thank you RickK.

I have absolutely no idea what RickK did as an admin; but from what I
saw of him on Wikipedia, you didn't want to get on the wrong side of him.

Feel free to block me, moderate me on the mailing list, revert every
contrib I have ever made, delete my user page, launch an RFAr, etc. I
have offended TEH 1337 CABAL, and should be punished.

- --
Alphax
OpenPGP key: 0xF874C613 - http://tinyurl.com/cc9up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,'
and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.' - C. S.
Lewis