[WikiEN-l] Non-free images, there has to be a better way

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Sun Jul 10 02:10:47 UTC 2005

>> There are still oodles of untagged images.
>
> Well, it's about time that they just be deleted wholesale.  But I know
> there's been a diligent ongoing project to tag them.  I wouldn't want us
> to disrupt that valuable work by getting draconian all of a sudden.

That project has indeed been doing very valuable
work. Lots of it. It should be noted, though, that
there are now more than 5000 images carrying the
"unverified" tag, those are untagged for most
intents and purposes.

But still, I think it would be nice if the image
upload system would automatically add the unverified
tag if the uploader fails to provide a tag. That
should further alert new users that we need
licensing information on each uploaded image.

A helpful interface where the user could select from
a number of tags would be even better. I've been on
Wikipedia for more than two years but I still don't
always remember the most appropriate PD-tag to use
for each image.

Regards,
Haukur