[WikiEN-l] Non-free images, there has to be a better way

Haukur Þorgeirsson haukurth at hi.is
Sat Jul 9 02:57:18 UTC 2005

Michael wrote:

> "Fair use" is laziness too in many cases. But my point was that if
> you're going to the trouble of asking for permission, which is otherwise
> commendable, it is lazy and counterproductive not to take the very
> simple step of asking for permission *under a free license*.

Indeed. In each case we should ask for as wide a
permission as possible. I think everyone agrees
on that.

> Encouraging people to go out and
> get more restrictive content, such as images with Wikipedia-only
> permission, undermines the effort to make Wikipedia more free.

I agree. We should not encourage people to obtain
such images. They should only be used as a last resort.

> If somebody asks for permission for an image under a free license and gets
> turned down, I'd be happy to consider whether it might be appropriate to
> use that image based on a more limited permission, plus fair use.

I don't see how fair-use is even relevant if we
already have a permission to use a given image.
If it is meant as a hint for the downstream
users then I don't think it is a very helpful one.
They will have to evaluate each non-free image
for themselves anyhow.

But, more importantly, you agree with me that it
is useful for us to have a limited permission to
use a given image when a wider permission can not
be obtained.

Doesn't it, then, strike you as counter-productive
that the image upload screen currently says this?

* Please do not upload files under a "non-commercial *
* use only" or "copyrighted, used by permission"     *
* licence. Such files will be deleted                *

- - -

This is not meant as an attack on anyone but I'm getting
tired of some of the arguments used in this discussion.
There seems to be a pervasive idea of "lazy" and stupid
Wikipedians who have to be stopped from hurting the project
with uncompromising policies that don't really make sense.
This is very much against the spirit of Wikipedia, which
is to trust the users and assume good faith.

We *can* have a nuanced policy to use used-with-permission
images only rarely and when they are the only option. Being
outright banned from doing so makes me feel like I'm being
treated like a child.

Regards,
Haukur