[WikiEN-l] Selective blocking (was: Abuse of admin powers by David Gerard and Snowspinner)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Jul 7 13:39:53 UTC 2005

I expected the new software to include the feature we've all been asking
for, that would block a user from "all pages but his own talk page" - or
"all pages but a few specific ones". The purpose of this was to enable a
user to protest a block - without having to create a new account or find
a new ISP.

Pending development of this feature, why not:
(1) Unblock the user account.
(2) Requent the user to confine his edits to his user talk page (and
possibly a short list of other pages)
(3) Watch his contribs, and instantly revert and edits outside his
assigned scope.
(4) Re-block his account if #3 becomes tedious.

This is bending over backwards to be fair. And I wouldn't mind being the
first to try it - if enough others think the experiment is worth trying.

Kindly ol' Uncle Ed (User:Ed Poor)
Chairman (pro tem), Mediation Committee
Admin, Bureaucrat, Developer Emeritus, wikien-l admin, etc., etc.