[WikiEN-l] Re: more active censorship

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Sun Jul 3 22:03:13 UTC 2005

Skyring (skyring at gmail.com) [050704 06:21]:
> On 7/4/05, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> > Nathan J. Yoder (njyoder at energon.org) [050704 06:10]:

> > > I also notice that no one has made an argument for why it should work
> > > that way, since it's clearly only meant to thwart block evasion (which
> > > this is not a case of).

> > wikien-l isn't a development list. Have you tried reporting it as a bug
> > yet? Or perhaps discussing it on mediawiki-l (the list for the software)
> > would be appropriate first.

> With all due respect, David, but you seem to be evading the point. You
> must know whether this is a bug or a feature. If you don't know, then
> say so, otherwise NJY is going to think you are just winding him up.

The answer is "I don't know" and "there may well be something to what
Nathan says" :-) Most users of course won't ever see the blocked user
interface. If the user interface defies expectations - which is a bad
thing, after all - ask the developers why it works the way it does, in a
calm and polite manner, and Brion or Tim or Magnus or whoever wrote that
bit will almost certainly explain why it works as it does, or suggest
raising a bug.

- d.