[WikiEN-l] Game-playing on Wikipedia

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sat Jul 2 23:32:56 UTC 2005

SJ:
> I'm not sure that intense game-playing on the wiki is a great thing.
> And we can all imagine marginal ways in which doing anything but
> concretely building the encyclopedia -- editing one's own user page,
> adding to BJAODN,  fooling around with personal CSS or javascript
> settings, chatting with friends about non-encyclopedic subjects --  is
> 'wasteful'.

None of these activities are perfomed exclusively by members of the
community. (In the case of BJAODN, it's also a useful service, because
the people posting stuff to BJAODN are frequently the same who are
vetting out the nonsense in the first place. BJAODN also reduces
trolling about censorship.) If they are, as in the case of people
abusing their user pages as webspace, we generally don't tolerate it.

The issue is that games can exist entirely in parallel to
encyclopedia-building. For example, the user who created the
"Wikipedia:Wikigames" project (since redirected) has never made a single
edit to a Wikipedia article. When the fun activity becomes the primary
focus and the encyclopedia becomes incidental, a line has to be drawn.

That's why I believe, as I have posted earlier, that any fun or game
activity has to meet a rather high threshold of community approval. If
games have to be started in the Wikipedia: namespace, instead of the
Sandbox as currently happens frequently, I think things will evolve
naturally into that direction.

Surely banning all "fun" from Wikipedia would be an overreaction. But
this is not going to happen. As is often the case on wikis, things tend
to escalate beyond a certain level of tolerance, the group who was
previously a minority suddenly becomes a majority, and the measures
advocated become more drastic. Hopefully this will lead to a mutually
acceptable solution in the end.

Erik