[WikiEN-l] Re: (fwd) bishonen exercises abuse of admin power

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 16:45:38 UTC 2005

> She is obligated to abide by the injunction, which means making it a
> 24 hour block.  You don't understand what happened.  It is NOT an
> intentional feature of the system to auto-reblock for someone hitting
> 'edit' under their regular account that they were blocked under.  It's
> a bug.
>
> That wouldn't even make sense as a feature even if it were
> intentional (which it's not), because that would mean if someone
> didn't know they were blocked yet and went to hit 'edit', their block
> would automatically be reset.  IT also means that if they wanted to
> check if their block was over or wanted to see the block page again
> their block would also be reset.

As far as I recall (and if I am wrong, please correct me with
evidence) that the idea is to encourage problem users (and that is not
to call you thus) to stay away from wikipedia until their block has
expired.  I believe it is mostly intended for bans.  I think it is
also true that it looks at IP addresses, to stop people evading
blocks.  Forgive me if I am wrong, but I believe that is how it works.

Sam