[WikiEN-l] Good cites and bad cites

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Sat Jan 29 23:23:14 UTC 2005

One problem I've found with regard to citing sources is the current
lack of support in MediaWiki for automatically numbered footnotes.

There are a couple of controversial articles I've been involved in
editing for which I would like to go through with a fine toothed comb
citing sources. My job would be made much easier if I could use
automatically numbered footnotes in tandem with comprehensive templates
such as {{Web reference|title=|work=|URL=|date=|year=}}.

I'm betting that once there is such support we'll find a huge upsurge
in the quality of citing.

[[Wikipedia:Cite sources]]
[[Wikipedia:Footnote2#Proposed future enhancements - autogeneration]]

Christiaan