[WikiEN-l] Speaking of Apple Mac and Wikipedia

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri Jan 28 17:54:47 UTC 2005

slimvirgin at gmail.com wrote:

>Has anyone else noticed the following? Often, though not always, when
>I edit a page containing accents like umlauts and acutes, when I press
>"preview" or "save," the accents come out mangled: for example, a "u"
>with an umlaut above it, comes out as a weird-looking Y, and it
>happens to words I haven't edited. In addition to changing the letter,
>this breaks the links to pages with accents in the title, leaving red
>links. I was told this happened with Macs, and I use a Mac, but I've
>only noticed it myself in the last week or so. Is there anything I can
>do my end to stop it from happening? I use OS 10.2.8 and the browser
>is usually Safari 1.0.3.

Wow, I heard about those versions in archaeology class - but
Professor Jobs said that all known copies had been lost in the
Great Disk Crash of 2003.

You're in possession of the truly rare! Do the window backgrounds
have more of a vellum or a papyrus look? Officially the papyrus
versions were only sold in Egypt, but apparently there were
rumors of pirated copies being sold in the markets of Rome,
and an obscure passage in "Cult of Mac" has been interpreted
as meaning that one of them made it all the way to Eboracum
(modern-day York).

:-)

Stan