[WikiEN-l] {{unreferenced}} tag?

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Fri Jan 28 12:01:00 UTC 2005

Zoney (zoney.ie at gmail.com) [050128 22:18]:

> I would suggest that such a tag should only be added to articles that
> are obviously in dire need of references/sources. (i.e., although all
> articles ideally should have references/sources, only focus on those
> with information that some question). In fairness, the vast majority
> of Wikipedia would otherwise be subject to tagging!

I'm struck by how many articles have *no* sources. That's what this is for.

I see there is also [[Template:Unsourced]], which is probably the same
thing. Except that contains the following text:

  This article lacks references. Members of WikiProject Fact and Reference
  Check and the Forum for Encyclopedic Standards are working to correct this
  problem. Please help Wikipedia become more credible and useful by adding
  sources.

To me, that seems to say "go away, we have a special group to fix it, not
you." Or, at best, "don't bother, someone else will do it." Is there any
good reason to keep that second sentence at all? More words on a tag muffle
the point.

- d.