[WikiEN-l] Re: Illegitimate block.

Robert Brookes the_robert_brookes at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 04:47:11 UTC 2005

--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:

> Robert Brookes wrote:
> > I thought that the beauty of the 3RR rule was its
> "simplicity" in
> >that when a breach is committed there is no doubt?
> No sooner had the
> >ink dried on that policy update that such a breach
> could lead to a 24
> >hour block than some of the more "imaginative"
> sysops were proposing
> >to "interpret" the intention of a specific editor
> and demanding the
> >power to block at will based on their personal
> interpretation.
>
> A too-strict interpretation will just force edit
> warriors to randomly
> change irrelevant words while still reverting.
>
> For some things, simple common sense is still best.
> Anyone can start
> to game any rule.
>
> --Jimbo

The converse of course is that too much freedom of
interpretation will make for even greater abuse by
sysops where they block editors at will. As it stands
the evidence is already clear that there are people
who are being elected as sysops after a few months
purely on the basis that they will enforce
"discipline" as their sole contribution to Wikipedia.
This is a dangerous development and rather than
encourage these "gunslingers" futher one should
consider rule changes and adaptions. The use of a
(Gestapo-style) heavy hand in controlling the actions
of people is not something Wikipedia should create an
environment to florish. (So stated to commemorate the
liberation of the prisoners from Auswitz 60 years ago)

Robert