[WikiEN-l] My rant

NSK nsk2 at wikinerds.org
Tue Jan 25 10:58:09 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 03:09, Christopher Mahan wrote:
> I'm pissed, and I want to rant. (you've been warned)

I understand you completely; the problem in Wikipedia is that authors start
writing without discussing, planning and organising their efforts. In my wiki
projects I will try to follow a different approach, and I believe Wikipedia
should consider a change in its attitudes. Here is my design:
1. The wiki is just a place to store articles. Discussions in the wiki are
prohibited.
2. The Talk: pages are renamed Test: pages and all the writing and
collaborative writing happens there.
3. Non-Test pages (i.e. the real articles) are protected and only admins can
edit them.
4. The authors are using a mailing list, a phpBB forum and a special
collaboration platform to discuss and decide how to write the article. An
example of a very good collaboration platform is phpCollab.
5. There are Article Maintainers who check for copyright violations and check
the references, et cetera.
6. Every article is developed in a software-like fashion, i.e. there are
versions and when the mains (maintainers) approve an article it will be
checked by the admins. The admins then publish the article in a non-Test page
(i.e. the main namespace) and give to it a unique version number such as 1.4.

You can learn more about this design at
http://nerdypc.wikinerds.org/index.php/Help:Editing_process

Some additional info about versions exists at
http://nerdypc.wikinerds.org/index.php/Help:Article_versions

--
NSK
http://portal.wikinerds.org/freehosting